Thursday, October 30, 2014

Decade

One decade (10 years) ago I was an 18 year kid about to see my life and world change forever.  It was the most beautiful fall day; not too cold and not too warm.  The sun was shining bright and the ground was covered in yellow, orange, and red leaves.  You couldn't of asked for a more perfect day to be wedded on.  I was nervous but completely excited.  Today was the day I marry the most perfect woman. 

I couldn't stop smiling.  By mid-morning my cheeks began to hurt because I was smiling so big, so much.  As I got dressed in the restroom my mind couldn't believe I was actually getting married.  I had never wanted to wait until I was older to get married.  Ever since I was a little kid I had wanted to get married.  I would joke that I wanted to get married as soon as I turned 18.  Who knew that it would come true just a few months after my 18th birthday. 

As the ceremony got underway the nervousness increased.  This is actually happening.  It's no longer a wishful thought.  Soon you will see your bride walk towards you ready to make her vows to you.  This is real.  I hear the music begin.  Here comes my bride.  She's wearing the most beautiful wedding dress.  Que biggest smile ever!  You see, we didn't have any money.  I had only just started my job one week before the wedding.  My wife told me she was just going to wear a nice sundress for our wedding.  So when she came walking down in that gorgeous wedding gown I was shocked and floored. 

We began to exchange our vows and the thoughts of this is actually happening once again came.  As we stood there pledging our love to each other we hear this.  Sweet Home Alabama.  Someones ringtone.  I can't help but laugh.  Some people might be horrified by having their wedding interrupted by an obnoxious ringtone but to this day every time I hear that song I'm taken back to one of the best days of my life.  The moment I hear one of the most recognized guitar intros in all of music I'm flooded with happy memories of that day.

We finish our vows.  You may now kiss your bride.  Here's some advice to all those guys about to get married: don't eat pizza for breakfast on the day of your wedding LOL.  As we kiss that garlicy kiss, it's official.  Daniel and Joy are husband and wife!  Sorry about the pizza hun...

Looking back it's so hard to believe that was 10 years ago.  That was a DECADE ago!!  It doesn't feel like it has been that long at all.  We now have five children.  We're still not rich ;) but we make it work.  We still argue and get annoyed with each other yet still want no one else lying next to us at night.  We aren't marriage experts but have learned more than we could've imagined.  Looking back, I've truly hit the jackpot when it comes to wives.  A wife who is an incredible mother, teacher, and business owner.  A wife who can look past my times of "being a guy" i.e. moron.  A wife who supports my dreams with as much passion as if they were hers.  A wife who is a bigger stargate nerd than I am!  Here's to the next 10 years; the next 20; the next 50.  I love you so much!

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm the one with the biggest grin, a grin so big it hurts. Love you babe!

    ReplyDelete