Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Whats "Good" Mean Anyway?

What makes a "good" musician?  Some say it is the talent or skill they possess.  They say the more complicated the piece the better musician they are.  Some add the criteria of how fast one can play to measure of what makes a good musician.  Time and again I've heard statements like, "They're an ok musician... but all they play is the basic stuff so they're not very good."  So is that the measuring stick?  The ability to play a complicated piece means you're a good musician and if you don't play that complicated piece you're "ok" at best a.k.a. you suck?  I personally don't believe in that measuring stick.

$300 million.  That is probably more money than I will ever make in my lifetime (Though I can hope right!?)  That's the estimated net worth of one musician.  He was the drummer of one of the most successful bands ever.  They're known world wide and even though their last album was released over 40 years ago they are still beloved by millions today.  The band I'm speaking of is The Beatles and their drummer, that $300 million dollar drummer, is Ringo Starr.  Like them or not you cannot deny that they were a huge band.  Record sales don't lie.  So why do I bring him up?  If you listen to the drums on any Beatles tune you won't hear this complicated drum piece.  You won't hear a double bass pedal that's so fast it sounds inhuman.  What you'll hear is a steady beat provided by Mr. Starr.  Some would say you'll hear a "simple" beat.  I've heard people say that he isn't a very good drummer.  To them I'd say he has 300 million reasons proving them wrong but whatever...

I love complicated arrangements in music.  I also love simple songs.  I don't think one is better than the other at all.  To me it's all about the individual songs and even what band is playing them.  I think you're a good musician when you play your music well.  Whatever voice, story, lyric, or lick you bring to the table just be yourself.  Complicated and fast doesn't mean you're good.  Simple and basic doesn't mean you're bad.  Being true to who you are and excelling at that... To me that means you're a good musician.

Play well.  Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment